Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Featured Seller

This weeks Featured Seller is Anna of Leathers and Feathers
Close your eyes and prepare to be transported to Anna's world between the South Devon moors and the sea

Please introduce yourself and your business
My name is Anna and I run the shop Leathers & Feathers. I live in south Devon between the moors and the sea where I spend my time making things and getting distracted! The things I make are mostly; bags, pouches, jewellery and accessories. The things that mostly distract me are; sunny afternoons, walks in the woods, warm fires, cappuccinos and dreams




When did you establish your business?
I first started Leathers & Feathers just over a year ago


What prompted you to start your own business?
When I left Art College I found there wasn't much work in our small little town. So I decided to make my own. Also there aren’t many employers around who agree that sometimes the outdoors is of greater priority than deadlines :) I just do what I love to do and try to make it work somehow


When did you first start working in your chosen discipline?
I have always made things and remade things out of other things.. I am a compulsive collector and fetishist of objects. I started leather working about two years ago, when I worked as an apprentice for a shoe making company


What inspires you?
“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful” William Morris
I used to have this quote scrawled on a postcard on my fridge, but I assumed it was some old Zen saying! It's a good starting point for making; I like things to be both beautiful and useful and that inspires a lot of the things I make.
I also love the way that objects hold meaning and memory so a lot of my art is about trying to distil as many stories as possible into the work. - is that a little abstract? I get like that from time to time!


 How did you first hear about Etsy?
       I first heard about Etsy when I was travelling in California. I kept meeting all these amazing artists just out in the streets or on the beaches with little stalls, and when they gave me their cards they all had Etsy addresses on them..  when I got home and checked it out I must have been on the site for about 4 hours lost in the maze of virtual shops! I loved it :)

How did you feel when you made your first sale on Etsy?
I only set up shop last week, no sales as of yet! It will be interesting to see how it goes online though as I'm used to doing things much more face to face and meeting the people I'm making for.

What do you like about being part of Etsy?
It’s a chance for more people to see my work and a chance for me to connect with other makers out there in the big wide world. It’s great that so many independent artists can get their work seen – because of the Internet, a few years ago this wouldn't have been possible.



What advice would you offer other Etsy sellers out there?
My advice to any artist trying to set up their own business (not that I’m the fountain of knowledge or anything!)  is to do what you love and it will really show - write your own story

Would you like to offer the British Sellers on Etsy Blog readers a special offer?
I can offer any blog reader who purchases one of my bags a free pair of my lovely feather drop earrings; just drop me a message quoting the offer.
Hope you like the shop!
x  Anna

Where can we find you?

(The blog is my writing rather than leather & feathers products)



3 comments:

witchmountain said...

Love that little buckle bag. Good luck making your first sale ...and enjoy the spring sunshine :0)

nuvonova said...

Amazing products!

AlisonMooreDesigns said...

Lovely feature and lovely products :)