Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Featured Seller


This weeks featured seller interview is with Izzy of They Died For Beauty


Please introduce yourself and your business
My name is Izzy Diccoco and I run "They Died For Beauty" on Etsy

When did you establish your business?
I've had my Etsy shop for about 16 months now, and in that time its evolved a fair bit.

What prompted you to start your own business?
I love crafting, I love taking photos, I don't necessarily have the time to go out and about to craft fairs as my other day job is working with children on a part time basis. I wanted an outlet to be able to set up a store and Etsy, with its ease of use seemed to fit the bill. To be honest when I first set up the shop, I didn't really have a clue how it was going to develop.




What are you doing when you’re not creating?
When not creating, I am either doing my other job, spending time with my two daughters and partner, reading, watching movies, enjoying the outdoors and a nice glass of wine. I am an ex journalist so I have a couple of personal blogs I keep just to keep my hand in. I would definitely get a restless brain if I couldn’t write.
What would people be surprised to learn about you?
That I was a journalist, moved into PR/Marketing and worked my way up the ranks. (I quit and took a huge pay cut to work with kids), I climbed to base camp at Everest when I was 18. (18,000ft give or take).


What is your favourite…? Colour: Animal: Season: Movie: Book: Blog?
My favourite colour is most certainly Purple, I love a Giraffe but Tigers are majestic so that's a close call, hmmm seasons....love Winter for the clean crisp feeling in the air, but you also can't beat flip flop weather! My favourite movie? I always joke that I just can't pick one favourite film, I'm a bit of a film buff, but Luc Bessons Nikita is top 2 for sure and recently I loved loved loved Inception, which will end up being an all time favourite. My favourite book is Haruki Murakami's Kafka On The Shore and as for blogs....I love Dr Ben Goldacre's Bad Science.net and Hubble telescope engineer Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy Blog



When did you first start working in your chosen discipline?
I've took photo's forever, but recently acquired a good DSLR after some years of being without one so I have been thinking more and more about what images are good, similarly with jewellery and card making, its just something I've always done. I am a big fan of the home spun type gifts, so I make for family and friends anything and everything from cards to candles to scrapbooks, jewellery, soaps and bath fizzes etc. What I'm doing with the Etsy shop is just a natural progression of that now I have more time.

What inspires you?
I am inspired by such a wide range of stuff. Music is a big one, you might see that a few of my jewellery pieces and photographic prints are named after songs or lyrics from songs, films also get me going. I've been producing some digital artwork lately and its a bit surreal and on the theme of dreams, although its not literal take on what happens in the film, that has definitely been inspired by my love of Inception.

What’s your favorite piece of work that you have created?
My favourite piece of work I've created is a Photographic Print called Walking On A Dream which was took on a recent holiday to the Isle Of Skye. It was a bit of a fluke photo as I was just taking some random shots of my two girls as we watched an amazing sunset whilst out on an evening walk, but I really love the way it turned out and the title is from a song which I had been wanting to use for ages....it all just fitted together perfectly.


What are you working on at the moment?
At the moment I am working on my new store and putting some new stuff up on The Nightingale Sings. I planned to make some more jewellery today but my 4yo has just come down with Chicken Pox so not sure how much I might get
done in between waiting on her hand and foot (she's milking it). I'm planning more in the All Your Dreams Belong....digital artwork series and working on some mini luck dip gift bags to start selling in my Etsy shop, which will contain some signature pieces from my range or work (think jewellery, mini scented candles, art work etc) and some surprises.

How did you hear about Etsy?
I actually heard about Etsy through a friend who bought her wedding dress from an American seller, I went on the site to look at her dress and found myself favouriting lots of shops myself!




What do you like about being part of Etsy I like the ease of use of Etsy, you can run a store without having any knowledge of web design and code and ecommerce
solutions etc, its literally set up and go and also the support network and forums.


Where else do you sell your work?
I also have some limited items on Folksy under the same name, as its more UK based I think and also my own new website www.theydiedforbeauty.com which is a partnership with my friend who also sells on Etsy, all designed and that by myself!



What are your goals for the future, both work wise and life?
I'd like to be able to make the craft and design business a full time thing, this is the goal for this year, if I can earn around what I do in my part time day job then I'd quit tomorrow! Although I enjoy the work that I do, I'd like to be able to devote my time to creating and crafting as its where my heart lies …..the feeling you get from making something be it jewellery or a card or taking a great photograph is like no other in terms of how it makes me feel achievement wise.
The more I can concentrate on this business also, the more I can have time for my family also and get them involved.
I've already got some ideas for some whimsical photo art using my elder daughter as a subject.....

Do you have any tips or inspiring words for others?
I've learnt that you are the master of your own ship and you can sail it more or less wherever you like, a bit of a cliché I guess but true. I never thought I'd quit the world of PR/Marketing for less pay and job security but I did, and now a few years down the line I earn enough to be comfy working part time and have more and more time as my youngest daughter grows to throw myself into other areas such as the art business. That's because I made a conscious decision that I was going to do this, ramp up the making output and use my marketing and business development experience to support the move.

Izzy's Links



1 comment:

Laney said...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog, so many interests and I love the photos. Selling on the internet is definately about the photos and yours are fabulous.